Friday, December 30, 2016

it's go time.


Ah, it's good to be back.

So much has happened. Some of it is very bad but I'll get to that.

To those that are back with me from before, welcome! To new folks, pull up a chair and join me on this journey!

Here's the bad news: my liver is giving up on me. Yup. It's bad. I had a liver biopsy earlier this month and got the results today. They measure liver health on a 4 point scale. 0 is a normal, healthy liver. 4 is cirrhosis. I am at a 2, considered fibrosis. 

The good news is this: the damage is, at this stage, completely reversible! However, it is going to take massive commitment and hard work for me to reverse this. I have to avoid alcohol and lose at least 10% of my body weight.

This happened because of my weight. I literally made my liver fat, along with the rest of me. Add a hefty amount of social drinking and my liver just couldn't keep up.

I am going to blog about this, simply as a way to cope. I need to put words down to help myself process all of this. I went to a happy hour last night and didn't realize it would be my last drink. Tomorrow is New Year's Eve and I will be stone cold sober. It's going to be weird and hard for a while. I am also quitting Diet Coke. I have to, although the doctor didn't say I needed to. I need to stop filling my liver with toxins if I want it to heal.

As far as my food scene, I'll keep working with my nutritionist and keep trying to keep the wheat out of my life. 

And my Y membership will finally start to get used again!

I knew this was coming. I've known for a year that my liver wasn't happy but now it is confirmed. Can't ignore it anymore. If I keep ignoring it, liver failure and a liver transplant are in my near future. And that is just not okay.

Side note: if you are carrying around extra weight, this could happen to you. You don't want this to happen to you! Join me this year to get healthy.

So for now, everything I put in my body will have to pass the liver test. "Is this going to help or hurt my liver"? Seems like a pretty good way to go.

Wish me luck! This is going to be one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment